Monday, December 22, 2008

Christmas Spirit

Mine is sorely lacking.

Christmas has always been my favorite of all holidays. And not just because of the presents. But let's be truthful. They are nice.

I love to give presents. I love everything about shopping for that special something that someone will treasure. Or stitching something that I hope and think they will love. Over the years I know I have succeeded in getting someone something that they will love and use and those memories I hold in my heart.

But shopping, wrapping, hunting for that perfect gift is not in me this year. I have gone through some of the motions. The wrapping and sending part and even a little shopping. But it just isn't the same this year and my heart isn't in it.

I also went out and bought a tree. Now not just any old tree. I decided that if I were going to put up a tree this year I wanted something I could plant in the spring. In honor of my Mom. Well, I found not one but two!

I had gone to the nursery to pick up cut greens to decorate the family graves and saw two trees. When I went to ask about the price I told them why I wanted the little trees. They aren't big. Maybe two to three feet tall. The saleswoman said "Ten Dollars" and I said "Sold."


Here they are decorated.
This one has the few stitched ornaments I have. I have joined the 2009 Ornament Challenge and hope that by this time next year I'll have enough to fill at least a tree this size.
The second tree sits on the floor in front of the other. This one has a few of my favorite ornaments on it. And if you look closely you can see Rosie, my Mom's kitty, checking things.
Here is a better photo of her inspecting the Nativity set to make sure I set it up properly.

Until next time...........

Love and stitches

Kathy

13 comments:

Irene said...

Kathy, what a lovely thought about the trees.

Jana said...

How wonderful that you would think of planting the trees in honor of your mom. I know she is smiling on you.

Anonymous said...

What wonderful trees and a lovely idea to plant them in honor of your mom. I'm sure it is making her very happy.
Merry Christmas,
Barb in TX

Meari said...

What a great idea for the trees, Kathy. The look really nice. :)

Carolyn NC said...

I love the idea of planting your Christmas tree for your mom. It's beautiful. I'm so sorry about your loss - give yourself some time, & see how you feel then. Still praying for you. Take care.

Emily in NC said...

That is a wonderful tree. Anyway, it is the thought that counts.

Valda said...

The trees are beautiful! I love the idea of planting them for your mom!

Nancy M said...

Great idea, and I don't think anyone would expect you to be into the holiday spirit this year. All things with time....Hope you have a peaceful holiday and relax. Don't worry the stitching bug will return. We all need to do some ornies, right????

Lou's addictions said...

Your mum would be so proud of you. I hope you have a safe christmas and find the great things about your mum to remember over this festive period.

Debra said...

Your trees look great.
Debra in Indiana

Daffycat said...

Happy Christmas, Kathy!

Joy said...

I know your mother is soo pleased with you this holiday season and everyday. Always keep her close to your heart and the days will get easier. :-) Hugs!!

Anonymous said...

Your trees look lovely! Green things always make me feel happy and relaxed. I hope your trees grow well and give you peace. May 2009 bring you happiness,joy, and lots of stash!